Taking a simple form into Grasshopper I used an algorithm I designed to parametrically tweak the overall Sceptre design.  Using this method I only needed to create a single script and then by adjusting sliders I could play with specific configurations until I found a final result that was aesthetically pleasing.  You can see in the final slide how simple changes to the input parameters can dramatically alter the final form.

The file for this Sceptre is on THINGIVERSE

The only process shot I managed to grab of it in the printer

The only process shot I managed to grab of it in the printer

Now it was time to put this bad boy on the printer.  One of the initial goals was to max out the build volume of the Makerbot Z18 (now that we finally have working firmware nearly a year after the initial purchase).  Nearly a week of troubleshooting later and I finally got the thing to print.  The final version took nearly 55 hours of continuous printing at the fastest quality setting.

 

With the hard part done it is time to have fun.  Check out some of the final images at Bonnaroo where this served as our badass totem and around the office where it now doubles as my desk lamp.